Bistek (Beef Steak) Slider
Bistek is a simple but classic Filipino dish that traditionally features thinly sliced beef and onions cooked in soy sauce and lemon juice. It uses simple ingredients and is cooked in a simple process but you end up with a sarap, complex dish!
MAKES 6 SLIDERS
3 cups jasmine rice
3 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoon butter
8 ounces beef sirloin
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 red onion
1/2 cup soy sauce
6 lemons (set aside 3 paper thin slices for garnish)
1 clove of garlic
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 stalk of scallion
salt and pepper to taste
PREPARE THE RICE BUNS
1. In a rice cooker, combine jasmine rice and water. While you let this cook (takes around 30 minutes), you can work on preparing the filling.
2. Once the rice is cooked, uncover and mix. Let it sit to cool.
3. When it's cool to touch, take a greased 12 muffin pan and fill each mold halfway with rice. Press down on each mound with the bottom of a glass cup or spoon until it's flat making a disc shape. This will be your bun!
PREPARE THE FILLING
1. Cut beef into roughly 2x2" slices that are about 1/8" thick.
2. Squeeze lemon juice into the mixing bowl and remove seeds. Add soy sauce.
3. Julienne the onions and mince the garlic. Add these into the mixing bowl.
4. Add beef slices into the same bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
5. After 20 minutes, pre-heat an 8-inch frying pan on medium heat and add the oil.
6. Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and add all its contents into the frying pan. Let this mixture cook until the beef is cooked through. Make a slurry by mixing 2 tablespoons of cold water with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Add this to the pan to thicken the sauce. Turn the heat down to low and set aside while you finish preparing the buns.
ASSEMBLE THE SLIDER
1. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a 8-inch frying pan on medium-high heat.
2. Sear 4 molded rice buns until browned on both sides.
3. Repeat for the remaining buns.
4. On a serving platter, place 6 rice buns down. Top with 3-4 slices of beef, a tablespoon of cooked onions, and drizzle with sauce from the pan. Garnish with thinly sliced scallions and a thin quarter slice of lemon (optional). Finish with other rice bun on top or tilted to the side.